Job Titles: Hydraulics Engineer
Occupational Series: GS-0810 Civil Engineer (Hydraulics)
Work Primarily Involves:
- The application of hydraulics and principles of fluid mechanics.
Competencies Needed For Success
- Calculate design discharge using the Rational Method or Regression Equation procedures
- Apply the continuity and energy equation to solve practical design problems
- Use the Weir equation to calculate the flow overtopping a roadway embankment
- Use Manning's equation to calculate velocity or flow depth in simple or compound channels, and recognize when this equation cannot be appropriately applied
- Evaluate channel flow conditions (subcritical, critical or supercritical) using the Froude number
- Design a stable channel using basic hydraulic concepts and HEC-15
- Apply basic pavement drainage concepts in calculation procedures described in HEC-22
- Design a simple culvert crossing using the procedures in HDS-5
- Design a simple storm drain and calculate the HGL using the energy equation and HEC-22
- Describe which energy dissipators are useful for culvert or storm drain applications based on HEC-14
- Culvert design
- Urban drainage
- Bridge hydraulics
- Bridge scour
- River mechanics
- Physical modeling and laboratory studies
- Computer applications
- Surface water environment
- Erosion and sediment control
Team and interpersonal competencies:
- Ability to balance interests of a variety of clients, to anticipate and meet the needs of a variety of customers/clients
- Ability to consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of different people in different situations in a compassionate, sensitive and respectful manner
- Ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships in all aspects of the job
- Ability to develop networks and build alliances, to confidently engage across boundaries and to find common ground with a wide range of stakeholders
Western Federal Lands encourages the development of emotional intelligence, leadership skills, and technical skills at ALL levels of the organization. Explore your opportunities for self growth through leadership training.
If you'd like more information about employment at WFL you can send an email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- For more information regarding careers within the Federal Highway Administration visit the FHWA Employment Opportunities Site.
- For the official job site of the United States Federal Government, go to USAJobs. Here you can search and apply for Government job opportunities worldwide!
- For more Federal hiring resources including locating student jobs, summer jobs, scholarships, and internships go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). If you're already 'Working for America' and want to explore other career options, this is also the place for you!
- For professional development and training opportunities, go to the National Highway Institute (NHI).