Western Federal Lands (WFL) encourages the development of leadership skills at all levels of the organization. This concept is illustrated by WFLHD’s inclusion of what is commonly referred to as the “soft skills” of partnering, stewardship, teamwork and communications in their competency framework for all employees. WFLHD also provides training assist employees in identifying and developing their own soft skills. Below are many of the competencies sought in leadership and the opportunities and targeted classification levels for leadership training.
Competencies Needed for Leadership Success
- Understanding that different people will have different needs, feelings and capabilities in different situations
- Understanding that the ability to communicate with different people in different situations will require different communication styles
- Understanding that our own needs, feelings and capabilities will be different in different situations.
Leadership competencies should include:
- Ability to balance interests of a variety of clients, to anticipate and meet the needs of a variety of customers/clients
- Ability to consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of different people in different situations in a compassionate, sensitive and respectful manner
- Ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships in all aspects of the job
- Ability to develop networks and build alliances, to confidently engage across boundaries and to find common ground with a wide range of stakeholders
Leadership Training Opportunities:
- Local Office Leadership Programs (grades vary)
- Monthly Managers Web-conferences (all employees)
- FLHD Leadership Development Academy (all employees)
- Leadership Certificate Program (GS 2-12)
- Professional Skills for Career Success (GS 9-11)
- Professional Development Program (PDP) Leadership Academy (GS 9-11)
- Human Capital Management for Supervisors and Managers (all Team Leads/Supervisors)
- Building Foundations for Visionary Leadership (GS 13)
- Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Advanced Supervisory Courses (GS 13-15)
- Transportation Operation Academy Senior Management Program (GS 14-15)
- AASHTO National Transportation Leadership Institute (GS 14-15)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Strategic Power of Vision (GS14-15)
If you'd like more information about employment at WFL you can send an email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- For more information regarding careers within the Federal Highway Administration visit the FHWA Employment Opportunities Site.
- For the official job site of the United States Federal Government, go to USAJobs. Here you can search and apply for Government job opportunities worldwide!
- For more Federal hiring resources including locating student jobs, summer jobs, scholarships, and internships go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). If you're already 'Working for America' and want to explore other career options, this is also the place for you!
- For professional development and training opportunities, go to the National Highway Institute (NHI).