Suiattle River Road Project
Major flooding in 2003 and 2006 closed Forest Highway 26, known as the Suiattle River Road, at mile post 12.5.
This Federal Highway Administration contract will make the following repairs at Sites 1 - 5 and the US Forest Service has a contract to make the repairs at Sites 6 - 8. Click on the Who’s Doing What link below to find out more about these contracts:
- Site 1 - Milepost 6.0: Reroute the road for about 2500 feet, with realignment of about 375 to 400 feet inland from the eroded Suiattle River bank. The old roadway will be abandoned and rehabilitated with mitigations for associated wetlands and flood plain reconnection.
- Site 2 - Milepost 12.6: Reconstruct the road 1200 to 1300 feet, with an offset of up to 70 feet from the existing road.
- Sites 3 & 4 - Milepost 13.0 and 13.4: Reroute around the two washouts with a realignment of approximately 1.1 mile of road upslope of Road 26 and away from the Suiattle River.
- Site 5 - Milepost 14.4: Align the roadway for a length of about 900 feet, 55 to 90 feet away from the eroded river bank; re-establish the Huckleberry trailhead and parking; and abandon and rehabilitate the temporary reroute road.
- Site 6 - Milepost 20.8: Widen the roadway into the hillside for about 250 feet long.
- Site 7 - Milepost 20.9 (Downey Creek Bridge): Remove the existing embankment and culvert at the first approach for 210 feet and build a three span bridge extension to replace that embankment and create a wider channel opening.
- Site 8 - Milepost 22.9 (Sulphur Creek Bridge): Build a concrete faced retaining wall at the first approach to replace the failed embankment and create a wider channel opening.
Documents and Updates
|Project #||WA FS ERFO 071-2023|
|Project Name||Suiattle River Road MP 6.0 - MP 14.4 Combined Projects|
|Location||Seven miles north of Darrington, WA|
|Awarded to||MidMountain Contractors, Inc.
|Award Date||July 31, 2013|
View Tabulation of Bids
|Completion Date||October 10, 2014|
Project Email Address:
Don Brouillard, FHWA Project Engineer
FHWA Project Office
1405 Emens Avenue North
Darrington, WA 98241
Federal Highway Administration
Western Federal Lands Highway Division
610 East Fifth Street
Vancouver, WA 98661-3801